Varicose veins mainly occur in women. Experts recommend approaching this problem in a complex way: using various drugs, traditional medicine, as well as wearing compression underwear. Compression underwear comes in different types, sizes and grades as well.
Wearing compression underwear is prescribed by a phlebologist. The reason for the appointment may be the following factors:
- The appearance of visible vessels on the legs.
- The presence of pain.
- Rapid fatigue.
- The presence of edema in the morning.
- Prominent venous nodules.
In addition, underwear is prescribed as a preventive measure when carrying a child and staying in one position for a long time (long car rides, sedentary work). Because varicose veins are inherited, experts occasionally recommend wearing underwear if you are at risk for varicose veins.
A few years ago, when there was no special clothing for varicose veins, elastic bandages were used as a therapy. Despite the similar principle of operation, elastic bandages have some disadvantages:
- With regular use of this material, elastic bandages quickly stretch and wear out, as a result of which they lose their healing properties.
- They are not aesthetically pleasing. After all, very few want to go out with bandaged legs.
- Proper technique for applying bandages takes a long time.
There are many types of compression underwear available today. Depending on individual characteristics, everyone can choose the right one for themselves. The therapeutic effect of wearing underwear is reflected in the following:
- Underwear ensures the normalization of the vein and vascular system and prevents venous congestion.
- Makes the veins more elastic by carcass pressure.
- Generates the necessary pressure at the point of contact between the laundry and the damaged skin area.
- Prevents the formation of thrombosis.
Contraindications for wearing compression underwear
Almost every drug or product intended to treat a specific disease has some contraindications. Contraindications can be of different types: it is strictly forbidden, not recommended, or wearing underwear is recommended only after consulting your doctor. Let's take a closer look:
- In no case should you wear medical knitwear for heart failure.
- It is forbidden to wear underwear with regular negative pressure.
- Do not wear it on people suffering from atherosclerosis or arthritis.
- It is not recommended to wear underwear for various skin diseases. Absolute contraindications are open wounds on the skin.
- If you have diabetes, you should consult your doctor.
What material is linen made of?
The main materials used in the manufacture of compression underwear use the following types of fabric:
- stretch cotton
- nylon fibers.
Of the advantages of sewing underwear, I highlight the absence of seams. Wearing this type of underwear does not cause discomfort and looks more aesthetically pleasing. Manufacturers claim that with proper care of the material, the therapeutic effect lasts for six months.
Main types of linen
Experts recommend wearing medical underwear only when indicated. However, this type of clothing is sold in almost every pharmacy or specialty store without a prescription. For this reason, even healthy people can buy preventive underwear and wear it regularly. Consider the main types:
- Knee socks. Compression stockings for varicose veins are designed to treat varicose veins not only in women but also in men. Not every man is okay with wearing tights or stockings as therapy. For this reason, the manufacturer has released compression stockings.
- spats. Appointment for men and women. You have the advantage of durability. Since knitwear is not worn on the foot, it practically does not wear out. Useful for small areas of skin. Fits snugly on the leg and is invisible under main clothing.
- tights or stockings. Compression stockings for varicose veins are intended for the treatment and prevention of varicose veins in women. Manufacturers offer not only the standard look of compression stockings and tights, but also more aesthetic ones, for example, with lace. Visually, varicose veins are practically no different from ordinary ones. It is important to choose tights or stockings strictly by size. If the therapeutic jersey is too big or too small, in this case the therapeutic effect will be significantly reduced. From the reviews of most women, we can conclude that this type of underwear is very comfortable. When asked how to properly wear compression stockings, women answer that the only difficulty arises when putting on pantyhose. Since the knitwear fits snugly to the body through compression, this is not easy, especially when the woman wakes up with swelling in her lower extremities.
Despite some disadvantages, an elastic bandage belongs to the types of compression underwear. This remedy for treating varicose veins is less effective, but it is suitable for people with financial difficulties. To get the most benefit from wearing an elastic bandage, you need to properly secure it on your leg. Let's take a closer look:
- The bandage is fixed starting at the ankles and gradually moving higher and higher.
- In order for the bandage not to slip off the foot, it must be "fixed" by wrapping the ankle and heel several times.
- The same effort is required when applying a bandage. This is necessary so that wrinkles do not form. In this case, the elastic bandage becomes useless.
- The bandage is applied as needed.
- When applying the bandage to the leg, be careful not to create "gaps". It is necessary to apply the layers of bandages with a slight overlap.
- The bandage should end in a healthy area with no evidence of damage to blood vessels or veins.
If you experience pain, discomfort, or numbness in your toes after putting the bandage on your leg, remove the bandage immediately, rest your legs, and try again later.
Compression underwear for varicose veins is divided into classes that have different millimeters of mercury. Let's take a closer look:
- First class. Underwear of this class is recommended for wearing in the initial stages of the development of varicose veins. As a preventive measure, as well as during pregnancy and with various degrees of overweight, the first class is recommended, ranging from 18 to 21 mm. rt. Art.
- Second grade. Recommended for the diagnosis "varicose veins of the lower extremities". The second class includes underwear with a compression of 22-33 mm. rt. Art.
- Third grade. Recommended for use in severe conditions such as venous insufficiency and the presence of blood clots. Compression ranges from 34 to 46 mm. rt. Art.
- Fourth grade. Very rarely used. As a rule, they are prescribed under preoperative conditions. Compression ranges from 47 to 60 mm. rt. Art.
In order to determine the right compression for you and avoid possible consequences, it is recommended to consult your doctor for advice.
It should be noted that therapeutic stockings for varicose veins only hold the compression for six months. For this reason, in case of severe illness, it is recommended to change underwear every 6 months.
How to choose the right underwear
Orthopedic specialty stores offer a wide range of compression underwear. Everyone who is faced with the pathology of the veins asks the question: what is the best compression underwear for varicose veins? There is no specific answer to this question, since the choice of therapeutic knitwear depends on the individual characteristics and the severity of the disease.
Knee socks, tights and stockings are provided for ladies. To determine the model, it is first necessary to pay attention to the degree of localization of the pathology. If a woman is worried about the disease of the veins in the thighs or about it, preference should be given to pantyhose. If we talk about pathologists below or just above the knee, you can do with golf or stockings.
How to choose stockings and tights for varicose veins depending on the compression? As mentioned above, the required degree of compression can only be determined by the attending physician. Experts also warn of possible fakes. Therefore, before choosing underwear, be sure to ask the seller for a certificate of this type of underwear. In order to avoid possible misunderstandings, it is recommended to buy therapeutic anti-varicose knitwear only in pharmacies or specialized stores. If there are difficulties in choosing, a specialist advisor will help you choose compression tights for varicose veins.
How to care for linen
In order to maximize the lifespan of therapeutic knitwear, it is advisable to take proper care of the linen. Let's take a closer look:
- If you wear stockings or tights prescribed by your doctor, it's a good idea to buy two pairs of treated knitwear. This is because the laundry needs to be washed regularly.
- It is recommended to wash clothes only by hand and not to use various chemical detergents. The best option is laundry soap. The washing water should be slightly above room temperature.
- Anti-varicose stockings should never be ironed.
- It is not recommended to wring the laundry thoroughly. After washing, it is enough to soak slightly with a terry towel and send it to the dryer. You cannot additionally influence the quick drying of the laundry (use of hair dryers or radiators).
- When using stockings with silicone strips, be careful not to wet the silicone insert. This can lead to the loss of properties. The strip is wiped with a damp cloth.
In order to preserve varicose tights and stockings in their original form, it is recommended to store them only in a horizontal position in a dry place. The course of treatment with the help of therapeutic knitwear is determined by the attending physician, depending on the severity of the disease.