Varicose veins are a vascular disease that is treated with medication and with the help of a complex of physiotherapeutic exercises. Exercises for varicose veins of the lower extremities are carried out according to the algorithm, according to the recommendations of specialists, after consulting the doctor. Regular and moderate exercise will stop the development of the disease and restore the health of the vessels.
The benefits of exercise therapy for varicose veins of the legs
Medication is avoided in the early stages of the disease. With the correct execution of the exercises, you can achieve positive dynamics in a short period of time. The advantages of physical therapy exercises:
- Tone increases in the walls of the affected vessels;
- improves blood circulation in large and small vessels;
- arterial blood flow is normalized, over time it becomes full - the feelings of cold, numbness and tingling in the legs disappear;
- stop dystrophic processes;
- the leg muscles are strengthened.
With varicose veins, it is important to normalize weight. Exercise therapy is the first step in losing weight. Regular use of the complex helps prevent blood and lymph congestion in the legs, swelling and muscle wasting.
How to properly perform exercise therapy
To get the best treatment results, you need to follow the rules of exercise therapy:
- moderate loads - you can not "focus" on your legs, lift weights;
- Walking - all groups of the leg muscles are trained, blood circulation, regeneration processes are improved, elasticity and elasticity of the vein walls are restored;
- if it is necessary to wear medical compression underwear, physical exercises are also performed in it, which increases the effectiveness of teaching by 2-3 times.
- in sports it is better to give preference to swimming and combine it with walking.
- The complex is carried out 2 times a day for 20-40 minutes each time.
Best in the morning before breakfast and in the evening after work.
The workout begins with a full body warm up that is performed before each movement therapy session.
- Warm up your neck. Make slow turns and tilts of your head without using much force. Breathing is even, there are no complaints.
- Warm up the shoulder girdle. You perform swings, circular movements with your hands, tilt your body to the side and back and forth, turn your trunk while standing.
- Warm up the back muscles. Standing with legs straight, shoulder width apart, legs bend forward. In the early days they will be flat. There is no need to make any effort to increase the amplitude - after 1-2 weeks the slopes will become easier.
The warm up for each section takes 5-7 minutes. After completing the whole complex, they move on to exercises against varicose veins.
What exercises are prohibited with varicose veins on the legs
Many give the whole body the maximum load, some act selectively - especially on the legs. This approach to treating varicose veins causes pain, discomfort, and often makes the condition worse. Forbidden:
- all jumps, with a rope, including;
- quick and deep squats;
- run at any distance;
- straighten the legs;
- Exercises with barbell, dumbbells, bench press.
Exercising your legs should be a little tired. In the event of pain and exhaustion, discomfort, or visible "bulging" of the inflamed veins, the lesson should be broken off and a doctor should be consulted.
Effective gymnastics for varicose veins of the legs
The morning complex begins still in bed.
- Legs together, straight. The socks are pulled towards you slowly but with an effort, fix the position for 5-10 seconds. Back to the original position. After 2-3 seconds, they will be pulled by the body in the opposite direction.
- Slowly rotate your straight feet to one side without changing position, counting "one-two-three" on each side.
- Make circular movements with your feet. The toe should be extended or pointed towards the body according to the movements.
Exercise relieves morning pain in your legs and helps prevent varicose veins. After the class, there is a general warm-up in bed. Next, move on to the main exercises.
- Incomplete squats are performed in the initial stages of varicose veins or after drug treatment. If squats hurt, the exercise is excluded from the complex until the condition returns to normal. The legs are shoulder width apart, the feet are parallel to each other. Squat down slowly and evenly until the pelvis assumes a position parallel to the floor.
- Leg swings are performed while standing, with hands resting against a wall or table / chair. The legs are raised forward, back and to the side - 5 times in each direction.
- Step in circles. Leaning against the wall with one hand, pull your leg back to the side as far as possible. Circular rotations are performed 5 times inwards and outwards.
- Roll. When standing, the body weight is transferred to the socks, the position is fixed for 5-10 seconds and then shifted to the heels. Perform 5 times.
With varicose veins in the legs, the complex is carried out 2 times a day. If the exercises are difficult, the number of approaches is reduced and gradually increased to the recommended one.
Exercises for the feet on the floor are effective.
- Lying on your back, place an elastic ball under your shins, with your feet without bending or pushing them apart, the ball is rolled to one side.
- Do the "scissors" or "bicycle" exercise without changing position. The execution time is regulated individually.
- Roll on your stomach, lifting your legs first one at a time, then two at a time.
The exercises are done slowly with even breathing. Exercising for the legs gives positive results after a month of daily activities, but you don't have to stop.
Force loads on the back and shoulder girdle with varicose veins in the legs are prohibited. You can return to them after a full recovery 10-12 months after the diagnosis has been removed.
Is it possible to have a foot massage?
Doctors allow a combination of leg exercises and varicose vein massage if the disease is in its early stages. The appointment for a massage is made by a doctor who is carried out by a masseur. However, the procedure can be done independently at home using the recommended algorithm.
- while sitting on a sofa or armchair, relax the leg muscles;
- Stroke the leg with the palm of your hand with light pressure in the direction from the thigh to the lower leg and lower to the ankle joint;
- straighten your legs in the same direction until the skin turns red;
- Raise your leg a little and give it a slight shake.
The massage is performed alternately for the left and right leg and then compression garments are put on. For varicose veins on the legs, you can use creams and gels. The drugs are prescribed by a doctor. They increase the effectiveness of the massage, quickly relieve pain and swelling.
A water massage is allowed at home - a shower jet is alternately directed onto the legs for 3-5 minutes. The water is warm first, then the degree is lowered. It is forbidden to carry out the procedure with hot water.
Yoga against varicose veins of the lower extremities
Treatment of varicose veins with gymnastics can be supplemented with yoga poses. Each position is delayed by 20 seconds, the complex is carried out after exercise therapy, but before massage.
- Starting position - standing, feet close. When you breathe in, your body weight shifts onto your heels, when you breathe out onto your toes.
- Lie on your back, raise your legs, bent at the knees, leaving 10-15 cm from the feet to the floor, without lowering the legs, making circular movements with the feet to the left and then to the rightTo run.
- Lying on your back, raise your arms and legs straight up, relax, and shake as if you were shaking off water.
Sometimes they take the "lotus" position to relieve pain and relieve tiredness in the legs. However, this is dangerous in the case of stagnation, an increase in pressure in the affected vessels.